Examples Of Our Fees
Our emphasis is on providing a high quality service to our clients. We provide a personal and responsive service. We aim to respond to particular needs which arise during the course of the Estate Administration, many of which cannot be foreseen. It is for this reason we do not offer fixed fees for any work of this nature. Our fees are based on the amount of time spent on a matter and the hourly rate of the person working on your behalf.
During the course of the Estate Administration we will engage in regular communication, advising on time spent and costs incurred.
We do understand the importance of knowing the level of costs you are likely to incur when instructing us. If you choose to instruct the firm, we will provide you with a detailed estimate of costs based on the information you provide. This will be calculated by reference to the hourly rate of the team or individual you choose to represent you and the number of hours we estimate the work will take us from the information you have supplied.
For instructions to obtain only the Grant of Probate our fee is between £1,150 and £1,350 plus VAT. This estimate applies where:
- the Deceased died domiciled in England and Wales;
- the Deceased died leaving a valid Will;
- you are providing us with all of the financial information and details of liabilities at date of death; and
- the Executors do not need to submit a full account to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.
In the case of a straightforward Probate Administration where we handle the full process for you, (including the application for a Grant of Probate, the collection and distribution of the assets), we estimate that our costs will be between £2,500 and £4,000 plus VAT. This estimate is for estates where:
- all of the assets are in England and Wales;
- there is a valid Will;
- there is no more than one property (note that any costs relating to the sale or transfer of the property are not included in the above estimate);
- there are no more than three bank or building society accounts;
- there are no other intangible assets;
- there are no more than three beneficiaries ;
- there are no disputes between beneficiaries on the division of assets. If disputes arise, this will almost certainly lead to an increase in costs;
- there is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs;
- there are no claims made against the estate; and
- provide us with timely instructions, information and documents necessary or desirable for us to perform our services;
- notify us promptly of any changes or additions to instructions, information and documents previously provided by you or on your behalf; and
- ensure that all information provided to us is complete in all material aspects and is not misleading.
The exact costs will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs are likely to be at the lower end of the range. We also charge £10.00 plus VAT for administering any bank transfers.
In addition to our costs, there are fees that we may have to pay to a third party (called disbursements). It is likely that the following disbursements will be incurred as part of the Probate Administration process:-
Probate Application Fee: currently £155 plus £1.50p per office copy of the Grant. The Government has proposed significant changes to Probate Application Fees commencing in April 2019. To see the proposed fees, go to http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7929/CBP-7929.pdf.
Advertisement in the London Gazette: this protects the Executors/Administrators against unexpected claims from unknown creditors. It is desirable for you to consider whether or not this advertisement is necessary. If it is, the costs are estimated to be in the region of £175 to £250 plus VAT.
Advertisement in a local newspaper: also to help to protect the Executors/Administrators against unexpected claims. If it is necessary, the cost is expected to be in the region of £100 to £175 plus VAT.
If your matter falls outside these parameters, please contact us to obtain an estimate of our costs.